Facts about Pugs
Pugs are now one of the most popular breeds worldwide and with good reason we think.
Why are Pugs so popular?
- Pugs are cute, while some people will call them ugly (how could they?) most of us are drawn to these squishy faced dogs like bee’s to a honey pot.
We can’t take our Pug Ziggy anywhere without people wanting to pet him. Youngsters and Teenagers particularly crowd around him as if he was a rock star and he loves it!
2. Pugs are loyal and love love love people. Pugs were bred in China as companion dogs. They take this role very seriously and will stick to you like velcro (velcro would be a good name for a Pug.)
Pugs like to follow you round the house, go out with you, sleep with you and their most favourite place in the world to be is on you. (When they are not eating)
3. Pugs are really big dogs! They are the largest of the Toy dog breed but never in a million years would a Pug consider himself or herself a Toy Dog.
Multum in Parvo (big in a little) is an expression used to describe the Pug dog. They really truly have no idea that they are a small squishy faced dog.
They will take on anything and it can get them into trouble. Ours looks at big dogs and I’m sure he’s saying “yeah and what are you lookin’ at, come on then.” Some of these dogs heads are bigger than him! No little dog go submissive!
This video is typical of Pug behaviour.
4. Pugs are funny. Most dogs are funny at times but these guys have a reputation of being “the clowns of the dog world” to hold up. The are not going to fall down on this.
Pugs love being the centre of attention and a lot of them are crazy as! ours makes us laugh every day and we love them.
5. Pugs will cuddle all day. Having said they are crazy, they also love nothing more than to be curled up on you all day. So there is a couch potato Pug and a crazy Pug, we are lucky to have a bit of both in boy Ziggy.
6. Pugs squishy faces, Pugs originally had longer snouts but have been bred over the years to have shorter and shorter snouts and wider heads.
We all love their little squishy faces. They are one of the brachycephalic dog breeds but think for their sakes they need a little more nose.7. Pug wrinkles! What’s not to love about these? Maybe the debris which can collect in the big fold above the nose?
Did you know that in China the wrinkles were thought to resemble symbols? The most valued were 3 wrinkles forming the word Prince. It is important to clean and look after your Pug’s wrinkles.
They are surprisingly soft but susceptible to infection. Wrinkle balm made specially for your Pug’s wrinkles is a great way of keeping them clean and infection free. (makes great prezzies too) We use it all the time, natural organic dog products are great, smells good too.
8.The Pug tail curl is one of the things Pug’s are recognised for. The AKC favours Pugs with 2 curls, some only have one.
A Pug’s tail should curl if he is up and active. Sometimes when they are relaxed or sleeping the Pug tail will straighten. It can be a sign your Pug is unwell so monitor that Pug curl.
However many tail curls a Pug has we love them all.
9. Pugs snore, what else to say about this! Put your ear muffs on to listen!
10. Pug poop circles, every Pug owner knows about Pug procrastination poop circles. Endearing? Sometimes, sometimes not quite so cute!
Like when it’s raining and you are standing out with them because they won’t go out on their own.
11. Pugs eyes, those boggly Pug eyes that look adoringly at you.
12. Pugs play – they love a good game. Comical and amusing when Pugs play they play hard, watch out their energy and the typical Pug run will leave you wondering what just happened, they are like a whirlwind!
13. Pugs love children, they are also sturdy enough to play as long as it’s not too rough. Pugs are so good natured and their energy and willingness to cuddle and sleep makes them a good choice as a family dog.
14. Pug head tilts, another classic Pug trait. They look like they really are listening and having a conversation with you.
15. Pug = Perfect package of squishy unconditional love and we love them unconditionally too, every single wrinkle included!