Summer Time Pugs
10 tips to keep your Pug cool in hot weather
Pugs don’t do well in extreme heat, or extreme cold, they like comfort and to be snuggly and warm.
In the Southern Hemisphere summer is on it’s way and with it changes and considerations need to be made to your Pug’s daily routine.
Most Pugs love the sun and like to do a little bit of sun baking, most are sensible enough to move when they get too hot and drink water when needed. Unfortunately there have been incidents of Pug’s staying too long and getting too hot in the sun and dying, so know your Pug and make sure there is always plenty of shade and always plenty of fresh water!
We have 10 cool tips for Summer time Pugs.
Out and about
1. Take your Pug out early for his walk or later in the day avoiding the hottest times of the day. Keep the walks short, Pugs can overheat very easily with disastrous results, remember they can’t cool down as easily as non-brachycephalic breeds of dog.
2. Go somewhere with water, beach or lake where you Pug can get in and cool off. Some Pugs will love a swim, most will enjoy cooling off in the water.
If your Pug is a sinker rather than a swimmer try a lifejacket, even if they can swim it makes it easier for them so they can stay in longer and enjoy the water.
These life jackets from Paws Aboard fit Pug’s well and have good support from a breathable mesh under their tummies
3. Take water and a travel bowl with you on your walk unless you are walking where you know there will be clean fresh water available.
It’s important for you Pug to stay hydrated. A little drink break in the shade will be welcomed. Remember to avoid the hottest part of the day and keep walks short .
4. Use a cool bandana, these ones have the added benefit of an odourless insect repellant.
5. Avoid hot road surfaces, if you’ve ever walked barefoot on asphalt or any kind of paving you will know it burns.
The same goes for sand, remember your poor Pug could be burning his tootsies so either avoid, pick him up and carry him or you could get some summer dog boots.
Carrying a hot heavy Pug is not fun!
You can keep your Pug’s paws soft and healthy with NDC’s Paw Soother, their products are amazing, we use them all the time. AND you can get 10% off any order if you use the code: Pugdelicious.
6. Make sure there is shade and plenty of water and that your Pug is sensible enough to get out of the sun during the hottest times of the day.
7. A lot of people say pugs don’t swim and hate the water but like us they are all individuals and some pugs just love water.
Ziggy absolutely loves water and for something so solid he swims pretty well. He loves his paddling pool at home and we have toys he likes to ‘rescue’, this game keeps him occupied and cool.
8. Doggy ice pops, an icy treat will help keep your Pug cool and what Pug could resist an extra treat! We have these for Ziggy and often give him this in the afternoon when it’s hot.
It keeps them cool and entertained. We have just found these amazing doggy cone’s truly love at first lick for our two!
You can buy your own doggie cone click here, get set for summer!
Depending on the size you can give it in place of your Pug’s evening meal or breakfast if you’ve been out for a walk first.
You might get some Pug stares, we sometimes have to put handful of something in Ziggys bowl for him to acknowledge that supper is over, a done job, that was it mate!
9. Keep them groomed, that double layered coat, particularly with fawn Pugs, can add to not coping with the heat if there is a build up of dead hair. The furminator deshedding brush can really help reduce the build up of hair on your dog and on your clothes!
10. Finally skin care, remember dogs can get sunburnt and skin cancers too.
Pug’s noses and wrinkles are susceptible to sunburn so if your Pug dog is going to be out in the sun give them some natural protection. We try and avoid using chemicals as much as possible on ourselves and Ziggy so the NDC snout soother is perfect for natural protection, check it out and see what you think.
Don’t forget your discount using the code: Pugdelicious you will get 10% off your whole order.
Have an awesome summer with your Pugs and stay safe!